Our Bay Area office(s) is actively seeking an experienced Full Time or Part Time Mechanical Engineer with broad experience in the industrial, commercial, product liability and vehicle transportation sectors. This candidate will work closely with our local, national and international practice groups. In this position the candidate will apply their technical knowledge to help assess and determine the origin and cause of complex problems for our clients. This will require the candidate to draw upon both their professional and forensic engineering experience to investigate mechanical failures in a variety of disciplines and formulate opinions and conclusions to assist our clients. We offer our full-time employees a competitive benefits package—including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, employer-matching 401(k), a flexible work schedule, mileage reimbursement and opportunities for advancement.
Duties include the investigation and failure analysis of systems, components, products and materials involved in a variety of mechanical equipment used in the industrial, commercial, construction, product liability and vehicle transportation arenas. The candidate will work as part of a team, with other engineering specialties, to determine the root cause of an incident. The candidate will perform timely analysis, prepare reports, and present their findings to the client and other interested parties. The candidate must be able to manage several projects simultaneously and be detail orientated. Excellent verbal and technical written communication skills are required.
Forensic Engineering Experience:
- Cargo/marine cargo loss and damage evaluations.
- Industrial and commercial failures – gas dryers, walk-in freezers, large agriculture roasting ovens and conveyors, large commercial refrigeration systems, sprinkler systems, electronic signs, light towers, piping, fire suppression systems, large vacuum pumps, and rotary equipment.
- Consumer product failures – septic systems, swimming pools, washing machines, clothing dryers, water heaters, wells, pumping systems, and sprinklers.
- Design of commercial restaurant and dry-cleaning establishments.
- Infrared thermographic analysis of industrial rotary equipment and thermographic analysis of residential construction.
- Post-fire cause engineering analyses on fires involving motor homes, mobile homes, single family detached homes, passenger vehicle, commercial trucks, industrial and agricultural machinery, and appliances. Analyzed fire sprinkler failure cases.
- Transportation failures is a plus – vehicle accident reconstruction, EDR/GPS/Infotainment downloads and interpretation, mechanical vehicle component and system failures inclusive of engine workings, braking systems, power steering and lifts, tire failures and overall hydraulic systems.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering is required. MS or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering is a plus.
- 5+ years of forensic/investigative engineering experience, with 5+ years of prior professional engineering experience.
- California PE Required.
- Expert testimony experience in trial.
- Experience working with attorney, private/public risk manager, insurance carrier, independent adjuster and third party administrator clients.
- Must have strong computer software skills, particularly Microsoft Office products.